Nullpomino :Why it should be a framework and not a game

Miscellaneous Tetris discussion

Nullpomino :Why it should be a framework and not a game

Postby Spirale » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 pm

I've been thinking about why I don't like playing tetris on nullpomino despite the fact that it implements almost all possible tetris rulesets that have ever been created and despite the fact that I respect a lot and admire all the people involved in its development.
Long time ago I posted on harddrop about encouraging people to build some sort of tetris library, so that any Tetris game creator from the community could easily create his own game based on this framework.
I remember Wojtek answering me that Nullpomino was exactly that. At the time there was only Nullnoname maintaining the official version while others would add their own unofficial patches. Along with others I pushed towards hosting the project on googlecode so that there would be only one place where all inputs from individual programmers would be uploaded and at the time I thought it was a great step towards the "tetris framework" dream I had.
I remember Rosti telling me on IRC that he diddnt believe in an open source tetris game because when more individuals were involved the game would go in every directions without order. I didn't agree with him at the time but now I have come to the conclusion that he was right.
Furthermore, some people argue that there has to be only one game in order to have a powerful community and playerbase, and in order to content everyone, we have to implement all possible game modes into one game. i think it is the wrong approach.
In my opinion, a tetris game should be the work of one person, or if more persons are involved, separation of tasks should be clearly defined. For example, one person takes care of the graphics, one person takes care of network, etc...
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a lot of different games to choose to play on.
That way, the game only goes in one direction, which is the one intended by the auhor(s).
If a lot of different tetris games are present on the scenes, then a phenomenom of "survival of the fittest" will happen and the game(s) which are the most fun to play on are going to grow a bigger playerbase.
This is why I think Nullpomino should be a "tetris framework" that other people would freely use in order to make their own games. There is nothing wrong with a lot of different people working on a framework because the framework makes it possible to implement what every single person has in mind. The idea has to be to provide other developers a way to easily make their own games, and encourage them to do.
The more games there are, the more chance there is gonna be that one person has THE idea that will be the revolution for tetris gaming, and players are going to play his game.
Spirale

Re: Nullpomino :Why it should be a framework and not a game

Postby Wojtek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

Sorry it took me so song to answer, but i was thinking how to answer that.

Well, i think nullpomino needs to be both great framework and great. This is because over they years numbers of people contributing to tetris community is decreasing.

Look how many forks heboris had, and nullpomino do not have single fork yet. Some people say they would want "nullpomino light" or nullpomino runing in browser, those are not very complicated modification and still no-one even tried to start such a project. Like some on IRC said recently people in tetris community talk a lot and do a little.

However it is somehow true, nullpomino is growing very big for one team project. But again nm8 is project that it allow to work at core thing again for a while, and it has potential to attract new contributors.
Wojtek
Site Admin

Re: Nullpomino :Why it should be a framework and not a game

Postby Paradox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 am

Like some on IRC said recently people in tetris community talk a lot and do a little.

Most of us talk because most of us don't have any clue how to program I'd say lol. I have a whole vision of what I would like tetris to be but I don't have the means to do it. Well i'm taking a programming class soon but its not like i'll be able to do anything for a while.
Paradox

Return to Tetris